Winter driving tips from Your Cover, Car insurance from Allianz
Posted 835 days ago
With the RBS 6 Nations, Heineken Cup, Amlin Challenge Cup, Magners League and Aviva Premiership Rugby hotting up at this time of year rugby fans will be clocking up the miles, across Europe, through the worst of elements. And let’s face it, driving in this weather isn’t any easier, so we’ve got some hints and tips to help you travel safe this season.
There are things we can all do to make sure we’re prepared and safe when we travel this winter – the most important being to ensure your car is regularly serviced and checked before setting out. The Highway Agency recommends that you:
* Ensure your headlights are clean and check the bulbs
* Check and replace the anti-freeze in the radiator
* Make sure your windscreen is clean
* Get the battery replaced if it’s not reliable
* Ensure your tyres are correctly inflated and replace them if the tread has reached the legal minimum.
So the car’s ready – are you? Gather a few items and keep them in your car. For a comprehensive list, click here, but to get you started, how about making sure you’ve got the essentials:
* Ice scraper and de-icer
* Jump leads
* Torch (and spare batteries!)
* Warm clothes and a blanket
* Boots (not the rugby sort!)
* Sunglasses (to protect from snow glare!)
For a safer journey, adapt your driving in bad weather. Even after roads have been treated, driving conditions may remain challenging. It’s also advisable to slow down on corners where the risk of losing control is at its greatest. For more information about driving in severe weather, visit the Highway Agency.
Finally, always check for weather forecasts and warnings before travelling, visit the Met Office.Like Rugby World? Subscribe to the magazine for the latest comprehensive content.
There are no comments yet, add one below.