THE SEASON is here and the hard work isn’t over, writes John Dams. Don’t get stuck in the gym doing things you’re good at; get on the pitch and WORK HARD! Develop a weekly training schedule that works for you and stick to it.
- Ankling (left): have knees slightly bent, shoulder-width apart
- Push up/down aggressively, alternating feet. Repeat laterally
- Lateral movements drills (right): Move laterally, crossing your foot in front and behind you alternately
- Start with low knee/foot punch and work progressively higher
- Barbell lunge (left): take a big step/lunge forward. With weight on front leg, shift down but not forward
- Lunge until back knee touches the floor. Push back to start
- Chest-supported dumb-bell row (right): Keep chest on bench
- Pull dumb-bells to side of bench. Lead with elbows and pull
- Bar dips (left): with bars a little wider than shoulder-width. Support body weight through hands
- Lower chest until 90° bend at the elbow. Push back to start
- Wood-chop with medicine ball (right): start above shoulder height, to side. Rotate down across body below knee and back up
- Repeated speed (left): set cones 40m apart. Sprint between each cone every 30 to 40 seconds
- Make sure you stay within 80-90% of your top speed
- Heavy bag slams (right): Pick up a heavy bag and slam it
- Work on a 1:1 work:rest ratio
This article appeared in the September 2012 issue of Rugby World Magazine.
Would you like to sign up to Rugby World’s excellent weekly email newsletter? Click here.
For Back Issues Contact John Denton Services at 01733-385-170