His stay at the London club is over and his next destination could be alongside Jonny WIlkinson at big-spending Toulon.
Rugby World understands Henson is being offered a two and a half year contract and could even make his debut next Friday against Brive. Originally Henson had been talking to Toulon about joining next season but the recent injury to Felipe Contemponi and the absence, with the Six Nations, of Jonny Wilkinson accelerated the discussions.
A Saracens spokesman said: “Gavin Henson has asked to be released from his contract with Saracens with immediate effect. The club has agreed to this request.”
His time at the London has hardly gone well as they were unable to find a place for him either at outside-half or inside centre with him featuring in the No 13 shirt, a place he has never played before.
And now it has emerged that Saracens have released him from his contract and his agent is in southern France, trying to do a deal with the Top 14 side.
“We wish Gavin all the best for the future,” said Sarries chief Nigel Wray just six weeks after Henson made his Saracens debut.
“As he continues his return to the highest level of the game.”
French sports newspaper L’Equipe reported that Henson, who played just four times for Saracens, met Toulon head coach Phillipe Saint Andre and millionaire club owner Mourad Boudjellal, on Wednesday and today the club said:”Wales international Gavin Henson has signed a contract at Toulon as a ‘medical wildcard’ for Clément Marienval.”
Toulon are in the quarter-finals of the Heineken Cup and team manager Tom Whitford has admitted there is a vacancy in their squad for a “medical joker” under special regulations to replace injured players.
Big-spending Toulon are currently without England fly-half Wilkinson, who is on Six Nations duty, while Argentine star Felipe Contepomi is injured.
And L’Equipe also report an announcement could be made on Thursday.Like Rugby World? Subscribe to the magazine for the latest comprehensive content.
There are no comments yet, add one below.