From musical talents to rugby trophies
Who is Robbie Henshaw: Ten things you should know about the Ireland centre
Robbie Henshaw made his Ireland debut in 2013 against the USA and has since won more than 50 caps for his country. Here are a few facts about the star…
Ten things you should know about Robbie Henshaw
1. Robbie Henshaw was born on 12 June 1993 in Athlone, Ireland. He stands at 6ft 3in (1.91m) and weighs 15st 8lb (99kg).
2. He started his career at Connacht, making his debut in 2012, and he went on to win the Pro12 with the province. He remained at Connacht until 2016, then he signed for Leinster and has since won four Pro14 titles and the European Champions Cup.
3. Henshaw has won two Six Nations titles with Ireland in 2015 and 2018. The 2018 win was a Grand Slam but Henshaw didn’t play a part in all the matches as he was injured for the Italy fixture. Henshaw has also represented Ireland at two Rugby World Cups, in 2015 and 2019.
4. He was selected to go on the 2017 British & Irish Lions tour to New Zealand and played in four of the warm-up matches before being ruled out by injury.
He has also been picked in the Lions 2021 squad to tour South Africa.
5. Henshaw has spoken about ‘Stuesdays’ at Leinster. The name was given to the training session held on a Tuesday by coach Stuart Lancaster.
He told the Irish Times: “I don’t know who came up with the name, but just because of the intensity of them I think.
“It’s both attack and defence. It changes, which keeps you on your toes. It gets you match-ready and gets you up to the intensity that you need to get to.”
6. Henshaw comes from a musical family, and he can play the guitar, fiddle, piano and the button accordion.
7. He has previously said his biggest fear is not living life to the full.
He told Independent.ie: “I try to just enjoy myself all the time in whatever I’m doing.”
Does Robbie Henshaw have a girlfriend?
8. Henshaw has been in a relationship with Sophie Marren since 2016.
9. He has a geography and economics degree from University College Dublin.
10. Henshaw has said his go-to song to sing in the shower is Titanium by David Guetta.
Can’t get to the shops? You can download the digital edition of Rugby World straight to your tablet or subscribe to the print edition to get the magazine delivered to your door.
Follow Rugby World on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.