Winger Jonny May runs in three tries in half an hour in Six Nations match at Twickenham – England's biggest win over France since 1911

Jonny May scores 30-minute hat-trick against France

Jonny May scored a try after just 65 seconds of England’s 44-8 win over France in the Six Nations – and within half an hour he had added another two to secure a hat-trick.

This was England‘s biggest victory over the French in more than 100 years – second only to the 37-point winning margin in 1911 – and it was winger May’s first hat-trick at Test level.

It took his tally to 22 tries in 42 Tests, 12 in his last 12 Internationals and he was also named Man of the Match.

Related: 30 Minutes with Jonny May

The first try came just after the minute mark. France captain Guilhem Guirado knocked on in midfield, Ben Youngs picked up the loose ball and passed it out to Elliot Daly. The full-back found a gap in France’s defence then kicked ahead for May to chase.

The Leicester man beat the French chasers to touch down with one hand for the try to make it the fifth consecutive Test in which England have scored a try within three minutes of the kick-off. Watch the opening try below…

May was on the scoreboard again in the 23rd minute. England attacked from a lineout in the French 22, using strong carriers on short bursts, then Owen Farrell changed tack, switched the direction of the attack and spun a wide ball out to May, who stepped around Damian Penaud for his second.

Six minutes later May had his hat-trick. Henry Slade put up a high ball, Morgan Parra knocked it on and Chris Ashton reacted quickest to pounce on the ball. He put through a kick for his fellow wing and this was probably the easiest of May’s three tries as there was clear grass in front of him to chase and touch down.

France were next to cross the whitewash, Yoann Huget releasing Penaud into space in the England 22, but England had the bonus point wrapped up by half-time.

Henry Slade scored the fourth try when stepping inside Guirado from a few metres out. Owen Farrell’s conversion made it 30-8 at the break.

Further tries followed in the second half at Twickenham. First England were awarded a penalty try when  Ashton was tackled without the ball by Gael Fickou and referee Nigel Owens decided a try would have been scored without that infringement.

The opportunity was created after Slade had intercepted a Camille Lopez pass and kicked ahead for Ashton. It resulted in seven points for England and a yellow card for Fickou.

Then in the 55th minute, Ben Youngs took a quick tap penalty and passed to Farrell, who kicked ahead.  May was beaten to the ball by Antoine Dupont but the French scrum-half couldn’t secure possession and Farrell was quick to touch it down himself. He then converted his own try.

After that the game petered out, and England will now turn their attentions to the trip to Cardiff in two weeks to face Wales, who are also unbeaten in this year’s championship.

Follow Rugby World on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.