Grant Gilchrist of Scotland, and Mohamed Haouas of France sent off

With seven minutes on the clock, Scotland were reduced to 14 men against France, in Paris. Minutes later, France were in the exact same boat.

France would eventually triumphed 32-21, but we had two red cards in Paris after 11 minutes, with Grant Gilchrist of Scotland, and Mohamed Haouas of France, sent off permanently. Of course, you may remember, Haouas was sent off against Scotland in 2020 as well.

It was the first time in Six Nations history we’ve seen two first-half red cards.

So here are the details of what the two red cards were given for…

Gilchrist red card against France

Scotland lock Gilchrist saw red after coming in to hit Anthony Jelonch as he returned a kick.

With his right arm by his side, Gilchrist hit Jelonch on the chin with his right shoulder. Initially nothing was given, but as the French medic came on and insisted the Jelonch go off for a Head Injury Assessment (HIA), the replay came on the big screen and the officials decided to take another look at it.

After which, the Edinburgh second-row got his marching orders.

Haouas gets one of two red cards in Paris

France had scored a couple of tries by the time 14-man Scotland got close to the French line, and with a breakdown just a few metres away, France prop Haouas dived from his side to take out scrum-half Ben White, making a head-on-head hit in the process.

You cans see a replay of the Haouas challenge right here, above.

Upon review, the officials decided there was a high degree of danger and it was a head contact, and so he too saw red.

How the game panned out after the cards

Scotland dragged themselves back into the game, coming back from 19 points down. Les Bleus had the edge after scores from Romain Ntamack and Ethan Dumortier, and then Thomas Ramos intercepted a Finn Russell pass to gallop in for a try.

But the Scots came back. Huw Jones got two scores – and looked dangerous all game – and Russell slid between tackles to get three tries for Scotland.

However, with Scotland within four points, they had a lineout in good position, in attack. It was overthrown and as France went down the other end, it was only a matter of time. Phase after phase they came back, until Gaël Fickou went over for the bonus point score. Scotland leave Paris with nothing.

Download the digital edition of Rugby World straight to your tablet or subscribe to the print edition to get the magazine delivered to your door.

Follow Rugby World on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.