Stuart Hogg was taken out as he chased the ball

Watch: Scotland penalty try against All Blacks

New Zealand started like a rocket against Scotland at Murrayfield, scoring two tries in the first seven minutes of the match. And they came back in the second half to see it out, but the the momentum well and truly swung the other way in the middle period of the match.

It was all sparked by a Stuart Hogg try that wasn’t. After chipping over the cover, he was taken out by Anton Lienert-Brown. The result was a penalty try and a yellow card for the centre.

And with that shift, Scotland grew into the game. And their prolific magician Darcy Graham scored this excellent try from an intercept.

Game on!

There was an emotional start to the game already, with the players and the crowd honouring Doddie Weir and, taking to pitchside five years on from his Motour Neuron Disease diagnosis and the forming of his My Name’5 Doddie Foundation.

And after the first whistle and the haka, the All Blacks’ start was blockbuster – the first score coming from a half-contested linout that gave the All Blacks advantage, and the powerpack hooker Samisoni Taukei’aho pumped over the line.

Debutant winger Mark Talea showed his own strength in almost every carry, regularly getting Scots defenders on the back foot. However, his try from a Jordie Barrett crossfield kick.

And then Scotland came back.

It was from a move we’ve seen a fair bit of in recent months, from Australia and South Africa, with a pass wide from a lineout then coming back inside to a player hammering onto it from deep. Hogg tore on to the ball and then when the cover came, he dinked over the little chip and looked like he would chase it down to score.

The bounce of the ball looked like it would take it away from the Exeter Chiefs 15, but he was tackled by Lienert-Brown regardless and match referee Frank Murphy went under the sticks to award seven points. The Kiwi centre then had ten minutes to cool his heels.

At half-time Scotland went in leading 17-14, after Finn Russell scored a penalty (he also slotted an impressive wide conversion from Graham’s opportunistic score).

Scotland went agonisingly close to scoring in the first ten minutes of the second half, but two more Russell penalties extended their lead to nine points.

Jordie Barrett brought it back within six, with a penalty of his own, making it 23-17 to the hosts, and then there was a Scottish yellow for Jack Dempsey and a converted try for Scott Barrett going over from close range, to make it 24-23 in the All Blacks’ favour.

With just a minute left on the clock for the yellow card, Talea got his second of the game, and Jordie Barrett knocked over an incredible touchline conversion to make the All Blacks lead more than a converted score, at 31-23. And that was that.

Download the digital edition of Rugby World straight to your tablet or subscribe to the print edition to get the magazine delivered to your door.

Follow Rugby World on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.