Find out more about the Scarlets front-rower
Who is Wyn Jones: Ten things you should know about the Wales prop
Wyn Jones made his Wales debut against Tonga in 2017 and has since accumulated more than 30 caps for his country. Here are some facts about the prop…
Ten things you should know about Wyn Jones
1. Wyn Jones was born on the 12 February 1992 in Llandovery, Wales. He stands at 6ft (1.84m) and weighs 17st 13lb (114kg).
2. He has played his senior rugby at club Llandovery RFC and region Scarlets, who he has represented more than 100 times and won the Pro12 with.
3. Jones has won two Six Nations titles, including a Grand Slam in 2019.
4. He has also represented Wales at a Rugby World Cup, helping his country come fourth in 2019.
5. Jones is renowned as a scrummager. However, former Scarlets head coach Glenn Delaney was also impressed by Jones’s ability to jackal the ball.
He told WalesOnline: “Wyn has figured it out right the way through and he’s an incredibly powerful loosehead.
“The other aspect to his game which I’ve always been really impressed with is his ability to jackal over the ball. He’s really good in that facet.”
Does Wyn Jones have a nickname?
6. He is nicknamed Sausage and it was coined by his former Scarlets team-mate Emyr Phillips.
Phillips told WalesOnline: “One of his friends back home is called Sausage. Wyn used to wind him up because he hated it. Well, Wyn was winding me up on one of his first days at the Scarlets and trying to spread my own nickname around.
“I wasn’t having it because he was a young pup coming in! I wanted to knock him down a peg or two and let him know he had to work his way up the ladder. So I just started calling him Sausage and told the boys at the Scarlets.”
7. Jones was involved in all three red-card incidents in Wales matches during the 2021 Six Nations.
He was cleared out dangerously at rucks by first Ireland’s Peter O’Mahony and then Scotland’s Zander Fagerson. In Wales’ final championship match, France lock Paul Willemse made contact with the eye area of Jones and was sent off.
Does Wyn Jones have a partner?
8. He is engaged to partner Jeian Lewis and the couple were meant to get married in 2020 but plans were disrupted by Covid-19.
He told the BBC: “We will postpone it for a year and it’s out of our hands so hopefully it will all go to plan.
“Because of the Covid rules, we weren’t able to proceed and we’re hoping to do it next September.”
9. Jones used to be a sheep farmer and he took up the occupation again during lockdown.
He told The Sun: “I was getting some more time at home on the farm and I was just picking up where I left off. It was quite refreshing, I enjoyed the physical challenge of it.”
10. Jones was selected in the British & Irish Lions 2021 squad to tour South Africa.
Can’t get to the shops? You can download the digital edition of Rugby World straight to your tablet or subscribe to the print edition to get the magazine delivered to your door.
Follow Rugby World on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.