Paul Sampson marked his 99th league appearance for London Welsh with two tries to help the Dragons move up to third in the Championship table.

In his sixth season at Old Deer Park, Sampson claimed league tries number 41 and 42 as the Exiles ran in seven tries at Old Deer Park to add to the ten they racked up at Moseley earlier in the season.

The Exiles raced into a 21-0 lead thanks to tries from Sampson, Vili Ma’asi and Paul Mackey, but Moseley hit back through Anthony Carter.

Errie Claassens crossed for the bonus point try less than a minute into the second half and when Ed Styles saw yellow Sampson touched down for his second.

Tries from Hudson Tonga’uiha and a debut try for Rob Herring sandwiched a consolation score for Moseley by Ollie Thomas.

Sampson needed just three minutes to cross for his opener after Rob Lewis’ box kick was marched back to just outside the Welsh 22.

But a scrappy Moseley lineout was seized upon by hooker Vili Ma’asi and he fed the rampaging Epi Taione to charge up field.

Andy Reay ate up the ground to haul down the former Sale and Fiji flanker in the Moseley 22, but Welsh had numbers out wide and with Moseley’s defence in disarray Sampson coasted over.

Jamie Lennard converted but then opted to push a penalty from almost the identical spot into the corner. The Welsh pack drove for the line with Ma’asi the last to emerge from the pile of bodies and accept the acclaim.

Welsh needed just four further minutes to add try number three as Liam Gibson stretched Moseley down their right flank. Again, when play was switched across the pitch, Welsh found space and Tonga’uiha’s pop pass found Mackey on a great line and the centre burst through to cross for his second try in a week. Lennard kept up his 100 per cent kicking record with another confidently despatched conversion.

Moseley then came to the party when a knock on by Welsh gave Moseley a good attacking position inside the Dragons’ 22 and good hands by Bevon Armitage and Nathan Bressington sent Anthony Carter over. Styles added the simple conversion after taking over the kicking duties from the injured Bradley Davies.

Ryan De La Harpe’s kick over the top was shepherded into touch by Sampson and although Moseley’s snaking maul yielded a penalty, good work by Michael Hills turned the ball over and got Welsh back on the attack.

The Dragons should then have been in for the bonus point try when Mackey charged down Styles’ kick, only for a mix up between the centre and Sampson to result in the ball going to ground and a guilt edged chance missed.

As if fired by that, though, Welsh poured on the pressure with the Moseley scrum conceding two penalties five metres from their own line. At the third time of asking and with a penalty try in the offing, however, the ball squirmed out and scrum half Rob Lewis was bundled into touch.

With Moseley pinned in the corner, Matt Corker then charged down De La Harpe’s box kick, only for the ball to roll agonisingly dead with Shawn Pittman looking to pounce. But Welsh finally got their reward when Lennard stroked over a penalty from in front of the posts on the stroke of half-time.

With memories of their scoreless second half against Moseley in the British & Irish Cup no doubt all too fresh, Welsh needed less than a minute to ensure there would be no such repeat, as Mackey and Taione combined to send Tonga’uiha bearing down on last man Carter and the centre gave Claassens a simple finish.

Welsh looked like they might run riot when Styles saw yellow and Sampson shrugged off some weak tackling to cross for his second.

But the 14-men of Moseley responded well, although De La Harpe couldn’t quite take Armitage’s offload just inches from the Welsh line.

Claassens took play from one end to the other when Thomas lost the ball in the tackle and the Welsh full back put boot to ball. Gibson’s chase put Carter under pressure and forced the Moseley number 15 into a hurried kick to touch.

From the lineout, Welsh threatened to drive their way over until the ball was given to the backs and Waisea Luveniyali delivered the scoring pass for Tonga’uiha. The Fiji fly half added the conversion to score his first points for London Welsh since his move from Quins.

Carter burst up the left wing before drawing Classens and feeding replacement Thomas to score a consolation for Moseley, but on loan London Irish hooker Rob Herring marked his debut by diving in under the posts to ensure the Dragons had the last word.

Welsh couldn’t quite top 50 for the second time against Moseley in the league, but Claassens did deny Richard Stott at the death in the corner to prevent Moseley scoring a third try.

London Welsh scorers:

Tries: Sampson (2), Ma’asi, Mackey, Claassens, Tonga’uiha, Herring; Cons: Lennard (3), Luveniyali (2); Pens: Lennard.

Moseley scorers:

Tries: Carter, Thomas; Cons: Thomas.

London Welsh: Errie Claassens; Liam Gibson, Hudson Tonga’uiha, Paul Mackey, Paul Sampson, Jamie Lennard, Rob Lewis, Shawn Pittman, Vili Ma’asi, Lorne Ward, Dan Williams, Matt Corker Jon Mills ©, Michael Hills, Epi Taione.

Replacements: Robert Herring for Ma’asi (45min), Jonathan Fisher for Taione (52min), Waisea Luveniyali for Lennard (54min), Nick Runciman for Rob Lewis (57min), James Lewis for Mackey (57min), Ben Russell for Mills (60min), Will Johnson for Ward (60min).

Moseley: Anthony Carter, Jack Pons, Bevon Armitage, Andy Reay, Edward Styles, Bradley Davis, Ryan De La Harpe, Craig Voisey, Adam Caves, Sean Knight, Paul Spivey, Richard Stott, Ben Pons, Michael Maltman, Chevvy Pennycook.

Replacements: Andrew Borgen for Bradley Davies (9min), Craig Voisey for Sigley (h-t min), Ollie Thomas for Styles (56min), Michael Maltman for Ellery (60min).

Replacements not used: George Warner, Paul Spivey, Gareth Taylor.

Yellow card: Styles (44min).

Officials: Ref – Steve Lee; TJ’s – Terry Hall & David Grashoft.

Half-time: 24-7

Attendance: 990