Australia always seem to raise their game for the World Cup, but fell at the quarter-final stage in 2019
Australia Rugby World Cup Fixtures, Squad, Group, Guide
It has become a cliché that you can never write off the Wallabies heading into a Rugby World Cup and while they had their moments in Japan, they ultimately got knocked out in the quarter-finals by England.
How They Qualified
Australia were one of the 12 automatic qualifiers for the 2019 tournament.
Dual scavengers Michael Hooper – their talismanic captain – and David Pocock can demolish attacks when selected together. There are numerous threats in the back-line, including the likes of Samu Kerevi and Kurtley Beale.
The Coach – Michael Cheika
Passionate, if volatile, Michael Cheika is set for his second World Cup, having bossed his boys to the final last time. The Aussie also coached Leinster to a Heineken Cup triumph.
Australia inflicted a record defeat on New Zealand during the Rugby Championship but then failed to score a point against the All Blacks a week later. They have struggled to string together consistent results and can be prone to making errors.
Australia Rugby World Cup Warm-ups
- Saturday 20 July 2019: South Africa 35-17 Australia
- Saturday 27 July 2019: Australia 16-10 Argentina
- Saturday 10 August 2019: Australia 47-26 New Zealand
- Saturday 17 August 2019: New Zealand 36-0 Australia
- Saturday 7 September 2019: Australia 34-15 Samoa
Related: 2019 Rugby World Cup Warm-ups
Australia Rugby World Cup Group
Related: 2019 Rugby World Cup Groups
Australia Rugby World Cup Kit
Australia Rugby World Cup Fixtures
- Sat 21 Sep Australia 39-21 Fiji (Sapporo). Match report
- Sun 29 Sep Australia 25-29 Wales (Tokyo) Match report
- Sat 5 Oct Australia 45-10 Uruguay (Oita) Match report
- Fri 11 Oct Australia 27-8 Georgia (Shizuoka) Match report
- Sat 19 Oct QF1 England 40-16 Australia (Oita) Match report
Warren Gatland's last major tournament until Wayne Pivac…
Australia Rugby World Cup Squad
Michael Cheika has named his squad for the tournament which is below:
Michael Hooper (captain)
Related: 2019 Rugby World Cup Fixtures
Previous World Cup Results and Record
Australia’s Rugby World Cup Record: P53 W42 D0 L11
- 1987 Fourth
- 1991 Champions
- 1995 Quarter-finals
- 1999 Champions
- 2003 Runners-up
- 2007 Quarter-finals
- 2011 Third
- 2015 Runners-up
- 2019 Quarter-finals
Follow our Rugby World Cup homepage which we update regularly with news and features.