Australia always seem to raise their game for the World Cup, can they do so again?
Australia Rugby World Cup Fixtures, Squad, Group, Guide
It has become a cliché that you can never write off the Wallabies heading into a Rugby World Cup, but their form in the past year has been pretty rotten. Forget ‘alright on the night’, the Aussies must up their game to gargantuan levels…
How They Qualified
Australia were one of the 12 automatic qualifiers for the 2019 tournament.
Dual scavengers Michael Hooper and David Pocock can demolish attacks, half-backs Will Genia and Bernard Foley can launch their own, and full-back Israel Folau can finish them.
The Coach – Michael Cheika
Passionate, if volatile, Michael Cheika is set for his second World Cup, having bossed his boys to the final last time. However, he has been under real pressure, with some calling for him to depart his post, despite being so close to the tournament. The Aussie also coached Leinster to a Heineken Cup triumph.
Australia have been error prone for a few years now, playing fast and loose. That can work in their favour against lesser sides but only against the big boys if they have a solid set-piece, which has abandoned them in recent times.
Australia Rugby World Cup Warm-ups
- Saturday 20 July 2019: South Africa 35-17 Australia
- Saturday 27 July 2019: Australia 16-10 Argentina
- Saturday 10 August 2019: Australia 47-26 New Zealand
- Saturday 17 August 2019: New Zealand v Australia, Eden Park, Auckland, 8.35am, Live on Sky Sports
- Saturday 7 September 2019: Australia v Samoa, Bankwest Stadium, Sydney, kick-off TBC
Related: 2019 Rugby World Cup Warm-ups
Australia Rugby World Cup Group
Related: 2019 Rugby World Cup Groups
Australia Rugby World Cup Fixtures
- Sat 21 Sep Australia v Fiji (Sapporo)
- Sun 29 Sep Australia v Wales (Tokyo)
- Sat 5 Oct Australia v Uruguay (Oita)
- Fri 11 Oct Australia v Georgia (Shizuoka)
Warren Gatland's last major tournament until Wayne Pivac…
Australia Rugby World Cup Squad
We will update this section with the official squad as soon as it is announced.
Related: 2019 Rugby World Cup Fixtures
Previous World Cup Results and Record
Australia’s Rugby World Cup Record: P48 W39 D0 L9
- 1987 Fourth
- 1991 Champions
- 1995 Quarter-finals
- 1999 Champions
- 2003 Runners-up
- 2007 Quarter-finals
- 2011 Third
- 2015 Runners-up
Follow our Rugby World Cup homepage which we update regularly with news and features.